Nice weather… time for fun ! Summer always brings vacation plans and whether it is a short day trip or a full blown get-away, you don’t want to spoil your memories when you arrive back home to any unwelcomed surprises.
5 Things To Remember When Vacationing Away From Your Home
- You cannot control your level of visibility entirely once you leave. If you post to social media, including Facebook and Pinterest, while on vacation you may be putting your home at risk. Sharing vacation photos are an obvious way of showing that you are away and may create an easier target for your home for thieves.
- Lock it up. From windows and doggie doors to gates and garage doors, the security of your home requires diligence on your part. Don’t let the rush of leaving for vacation make you forget to batten down the hatches throughout your home.
- Ask for some help. A trusted neighbor or friend can notify you if something looks out of place or odd while you are away. Or you can employ a house sitter for greater peace of mind. You may even find one who will water your plants, too!
- Consider installing an alarm or timed lighting system prior to your vacation. Both can deter possible intruders.
- Truly vacation while away and plan a day to get organized when you get back. Placing your mail and delivery services on hold while you are away is critical, too. 4-5 newspapers or forgotten milk bottles on your porch signal to everyone that something is amiss. Plus, having planned an extra day to recover from your travel to go through mail and grocery shop may also allow you time for the first tip mentioned… post your awesome vacation photos to social media!